Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Truth Shall Set Me Free...

May 26, 2006

I have a problem. And I didn't even sense it. It must of crept up on me over the last few months, slowly pulling me back in, making it harder and harder for me to get away from.

I thought, by far, I was worse off circa 2001 when I was a real addict, a junkie if you will. But it occured to me last night, for the first time this year, that its back, full force, and perhaps I should consider seeking help?

Sign 1: Chrissy had to hold my hand.

Sign 2: I lept off the couch in uncontrolled hysterics.

Sign 3: When I realized the journey was over, there was longer than a brief moment of sadness, and perhaps, even a tear?

Sign 4: My phone began to ring off the hook.

Conclusion? American freaking Idol is consuming my life.

It started off as a casual, "Oh, maybe I'll watch it this year again." It was followed by 2 nights a week watching with friends, slightly anticipating the results show. We'd created a drinking game for the show, mocking the judges, which really made AI seem only like an excuse to drink. And then, I voted.

Well last night was the finale, and I barely made it through the day at work yesterday without talking about it every 2.5 minutes. I hated Katherine McPhee and everyone knew it. She took the top 2 spot from Chris/Elliott, and should be punished for it. I loved Taylor (the silver fox...SOUL PATROL!) since day 1 (ok fine, maybe day 5...) but was rooting for him all the way...no way was I going to sit back and watch "McPheever" take the title.

The time had come. Seacrest held the results in his hand. My heart was racing so fast I was even a little nauseous. You would have thought it was me standing on the stage, waiting to hear my own destiny. After what seemed like hours, the envelope opened and he said "American Idol Season 5 is......Taylor Hicks!"

I jumped so high off the couch, I almost landed feet first on the coffee table. And I screamed. And continued to jump...until I realized it was over. I sat down on the couch and let the wave of sadness overtake me when I realized...wait! I have to wait like 6 months until the next season? Are you freaking kidding me?

I thought I felt the "cry" developing, but I had to contain myself enough to answer my continuously ringing phone with messages of "Congratulations," again, as if it were me who'd won the competition. Oh yeah, and I also remembered my pre-sale super-seat $100 ticket for the American Idol Live tour I'd purchased just days before...

Do you still wonder why I think I'm sick? At least if McPheever had won, I would have attempted to boycott the show next season...

No comments: