Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Dear Diary,

August 31, 2006

Today, blog=journal. Since I don't have a journal, I won't write in it, and today feels like one of those days that I would write in a journal if i had one.

Dear Diary,

It's weird how we all have expectations, but in experience, I've noticed a hypocritical trend. "They" say you should have expectations, and accept nothing less. But I find, personally, that when you do that, you're always sold just a little bit short.

Let me go back to go back on my coke/water theory for a moment. If you're confused and have never heard of it, keep reading, because I promise I will explain. If you have heard it, my apologies for topic redundancy...

Let's say you're sitting in a restaurant. You have your water, and you have the coke that you ordered as choice beverage of the night. So you're sitting there, deep in some fantastic conversation with your table attendants, and BAM...you go to take a sip of coke, you pick up the water by accident, and take a sip. You EXPECTED coke, but you got water. Ohhhh nooooo.

What's weird here is that you will never, and I guarantee ever, come to the immediate conclusion that you accidentally drank your water. You will, however "conclude" that something is wrong with your coke. And the reason for this is that you simply weren't "expecting" water.

And so for the theory...coke/water is like a bad date. Or for the purpose of this argument...any contact with a person you don't know. Or do know really (again, back to the expecation thing...example...you expect flowers for your bday, you don't get them...boom...your sad...you don't expect flowers, you get them...wham...happy day)

Anyway, I've totally lost track of my point here. My point is, diary, that its very hard to set expectations at the perfect level...the level where the people you expect things from, or the things you expect, are obtainable and reasonable. But on the latter, if you expect nothing, and get something, you're already ahead of the game.

I've forgotten how you sign of in a journal/diary. So I will end with a quote...

"If he's saying 'no expectations' he's giving himself some wiggle room." -Unknown

Yours truly,
Shauna

No comments: