Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

July 25, 2006

It's never easy ending a relationship. And its down right scary! After investing so much time in someone, you learn how they do things, you become comfortable in their presence, you become set in their ways. But sometimes (usually. ok, always...) you get in a rut. Things aren't as exciting as they once were. After you've been won over, they stop trying to impress you. The excitement, the creativity, the newness...it all goes out the window.

So here you are, in a textbook relationship, visibly perfectly fine to everyone around you. But there's just something missing. You know it. They know it. The "wow" factor is simply a memory.

And so I've decided to leave...my hair stylist. I've been with Scott for 4 years. And even before him, I knew him, as I used to "be with" his best friend. I've been talking about leaving for a long time now, but I was worried that my urge to be with someone else was just temporary. Should I really walk away from Scott, who's so good to me, but just doesn't, well, do it for me anymore?

Yes. I'm sticking to my guns and taking my own advice. My theory is that once the curiosity of seeing what else is out there, it won't go away until you do. Why wait until things get REALLY bad, until you're furiously unhappy with where you are. At least if I go now, I can remember how great things were, and how peacefully they ended. That's it. I'm moving on to someone else.

I just set it up. It's official. Friday is my first date with Sam. I know, I move fast, but that's how it's done most of the time. Move on from one to the next without a glance back. But it's no big deal. We're starting small with just dinner (haircut) and maybe next time we'll add a movie (highlights.)

That works. We'll start small and see where it goes from there. I can't throw all my eggs into one basket...I mean, why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? He's got to earn my second date by impressing me on the first.

Like I said, I'm scared. But you can't just accept mediocrity in life. Just because something was once good doesn't mean it lasts forever. You can't change people, and frankly, it never works when you go back. And we all know how easy it is to go back to your comfort zone when your fling is only a fling.

No comments: