Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Get Outta Town

January 23, 2007

The gym. A pair of words, once foreign and dirty to me, is now slowly becoming a part of my Mon-Sat routine. With all the excitement of the grand opening of the new Brick Bodies Reisterstown, I started a week early at the older and less testosteroned (girls only) OM location.

I began to remember my terrible, but #2 excuse (next to being downright lazy) of why I hadn't membershipped myself sooner. Perhaps its my own fault for never leaving town. Unless, of course you count Towson. In the first 5.3 seconds of my visit last Monday, I saw 4, count them, 4 people I hadn't layed eyes on since the days of yore. Or, high school.

I have safely avoided excessive contact so far. I had a short conversation which ultimately was not so bad. Acquaintances back in the day with current mutal friends left a tolerable cliche conversation. But the other 3 people who I continue to exchange terribly awkward glances with day to day makes each entrance even more nervewracking than the buff 50-year-old woman next to me lifting twice the weight with half the effort.

But, there is an upside to every downfall. Saturday morning, the new gym finally opened. So, there I am, at the end of my cardio circuit training (used that day only for the purpose of trying every fancy machine they had) when I spotted familiar faces. And although I know that I will eventually get tag teamed into a corner by the pair, I already felt the overwhelming pressure of my new surroundings and was not about to encounter another ounce of added stress.

I found myself trapped. If I got up now, I'd be forced to walk right past them. And, if I walked past them, I know I'd have to stop and chat. Which, for me that day, did not seem like an option. And so, I was forced to cycle on for another 20 minutes until I had a clear path outta there.

It's much easier to hide from people in Target.

4 comments:

Jamie B said...

I love this blog! It's hysterical because I am sure most people can relate. I sure as hell can. At least you did get that extra 20 minute workout. P.S. I love Target!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel - it's kind of like when I go back to Padonia Station or anywhere in Canton/Federal Hill during the week of Thanksgiving. Those awkward, insincere exchanges are unavoidable. I think we could put a stop to them - no one likes them, so why do them. Let's start a movement right now - no more hellos, nods or forced conversations with people from our past that frankly, we could care less about! Unless of course they have good gossip about who is pregnant or who is sleeping with who ... ;)

lbk said...

I thought I was the only one who hid from people in Target.

Erik K. said...

People are hiding from one another? Now I am going to worry who's hiding from me! I've never hidden from anyone ever. Camoflague, anyone? ;)