Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I Love the 90's!

September 6, 2006

My horoscope today: Memories from the distant past, perhaps as far back as early childhood, could keep popping into your conscious mind today, dear Leo. You may feel really silly, crying over a fairytale your grandmother read you when you were 5 years old, but as embarrassing as this can be, it's actually a positive form of release. Old pain from the past, even as inane as this, can actually limit you in your current situation. Let it go and embrace the process.

So it's totally strange that for the last few days, I've been reminiscing, and feeling "silly" for being sad about how long ago the past is (go MSN horoscope!) I drove around the Reisterstown part of Owings Mills the other day...I still knew my way on those shortcuts I was taught a million years ago (ok, fine, I've never actually left OM, but still...I haven't driven on some of those roads in a very long time.) I will tell you though, that there are stop signs and speed bumps where there never were before! They really should have sent me a letter.

I was just talking about the passing on of The WB network, and how they are having a final goodbye, by showing the pilot episodes of the four shows that made it a hit. They showed clips of Dawson's Creek, Felicity, and two other shows (Buffy and Charmed maybe? Eh, who cares...)

So for some reason, when I saw the Felicity clip, I was sucked back into my junior year of high school. I got really, oddly sad. I mean really oddly sad. I remember laying on my bed, right in front of the television, tuning in to the premiere episode of my soon to be favorite show. Since then, that bed is no longer in my room. And that room is no longer my room, because that house is no longer my house.

I looked through a photo album with tons of pictures from my freshman year of college. You think 8 years ago seems like yesterday until you see what the 8 years has done to you, perfectly documented, thanks to Kodak. I am not kidding or being exaggeratory (yes, its a word...my word, but still a word) when I say that I now look like the 17 year old me's mother. Or much older and much uglier sister.

AND! I've been hearing all of these songs...perhaps because I'm addicted to 90's on 9 on XM...I can't help it... Anyway, these songs are too funny...Vanilla Ice, Colour Me Badd, Kris Kross, and my most recent favorite song I haven't heard in a million years, "Mr. Vain" which, by the way, is much dirtier on satellite radio. I feel like I'm back at Grafitti's (that's right, the under 21 dance club that is now known as Padonia Station!)

So right, I'm in this weird "I wish I was in high school again" place that I never thought I'd be (could be all the teeny-bopper movies I watched this weekend...High School Musical...She's The Man...) But "they" know everything...because "they" always said "Enjoy it while you're living it, because these are the best years of your life..." And yet, I still ignored it thinking, "Please god, no."

My horoscope says not to harp on this. It will hold me back. I don't know what from, but I have no choice other than to listen to the stars and planets. Otherwise, I have to listen to myself, and half the time I don't have any idea what I'm talking about.

No comments: