Wednesday, June 13, 2007

It's a Good Thing I Like Ramen...

I did it. I've figured out the reason that so many people are unhealthy in the United States. Why Shauna, you ask? It's too freaking expensive. Fit isn't free. Have a looksie...

Other than the occasional deals by using my Giant Bonus Card, it's practically impossible to shop on a budget. And by practically impossible, I mean not a chance in hell. But, every time I complain about being low on the dough, I get the typical response of "Why don't you stop eating out?" And I say...

A. I don't eat out much.

B. It is far from cheaper to grocery shop..

and 3. I do not know how, nor can I afford the utilities needed, to roll a proper sushi roll.

Now, to clarify "B" just a bit...If it costs me $5 for a 6 inch sub at subway, 5 days a week, that's $25. But to buy a weeks worth of bread ($4...because I cannot just buy what's on sale, I have to take into consideration the calories, fat, protein, and fiber of each bread, and let me tell you, the right ones don't get discounted EVER), 2 packages of Healthy Choice Oven Roasted Turkey, $7. Add in cucumber, lettuce, tomato, and all the other fancy fixin's I might want to make my sandwich taste better than wheat fiber and dry turkey, then there you have it. Add in breakfast and dinner, fruits, etc, for the rest of the week, and its merely a dream to walk into the grocery store without spending less than $100 a week. And I am only one person.

My mother would insert this here: "You should buy your fruits and vegetables at the fruit market Shauna. It's cheaper. And you should shop where the sales are. Did I mention that toilet paper is on sale at Food Lion in Reisterstown this week...you should go there!"

Well, other than the fact that Food Lion is practically in Pennsylvania, if I drive to market A for fruit, market B for perishables, and market C for toiletries, I have now just wasted an entire tank of gas, nearly $50, that I guarantee you I did not save on the double roll special on toilet paper at the far from local Food Lion.

Now let's consider the above when trying to follow a slightly stricter diet. Let's say, as I mentioned with the bread, that you are focused on certain daily intakes. And let's also say, just for fun, that said diet insists on 5 meals a day. Well, add this to your bills.

$54...2 cases of high protein bars
$108...3 cases of nutritional supplement beverages
$1.29...the additional cost to your $10 omelet for egg beaters or whites.

Throw in a $40 monthly gym membership fee while we're at it and I think I just may have proven my very insightful, if I do say so myself, point.

Now this may come as a surprise, but I have been wrong on occasion...so I challenge you. If anyone has figured out a way to live on a less than superfluous salary, while maintaining a healthy balanced diet combined with routine exercise and a full tank of gas, please advise. Otherwise, I may have to forfeit the healthy lifestyle I am trying to adopt in exchange for $1 packages of Ramen Noodles, that last week, I would have gotten a two-for with my fancy bonus card keychain at my actually local grocery store...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I'm in the quit smoking program, and I was thinking eating fruit would be the way to get healthy. That's cheap, isn't it? I thought I could get a big bag of apples for almost nothing. They might even fall off a truck. Yes?

Mandie said...

Fruit is not cheap! Sure you can get the crappy red apples pretty cheap, but really who wants to eat those? Once you get into the fancy Fuji, Gala and Pink Ladies the prices adds up. And don't even get me started on strawberries and mango!