Thursday, April 5, 2007

Silly Rabbit, I Like Bunnies Too

April 5, 2007

Not only do Jews not get Easter baskets, but Easter just so happens to fall in the middle of a Jewish holiday this year...Passover, the week where the South Beach Diet becomes a requirement, and not my own choice.

Easter baskets, easter egg dying, and easter egg hunts...these are the things that that my coworkers and friends got to experience when growing up. For me, all that gets "hunted" on Passover is a piece of matzoh...a giant tasteless cracker. Who even wants that? The jews disguise the boring-ness of this by calling it something fancy, the Afikomen, and unfairly lead you to believe that this is dessert. And then, whoever finds it gets $5, or some other type of inadequate prize. In my family, the cut-off age for the prize seems to be whatever age I am that year. Somehow, I got booted out of all the fun things when I matured enough to make my own $5 with a work permit.

I excitedly have been talking about the Bunny Bananzoo EGGgstravaganza happening this weekend at the Maryland Zoo, hoping someone would aay "YES LET'S GO!" But no, everyone is easter egg'd out, or, too busy with fancy family dinners to celebrate the close to the Cadbury season, alongside of their very own private EGGstravaganza. No one understands my urge to participate in such a fun holiday. Spoiled brats.

First, I get jipped out of a stocking, and now this. However, this past year, I made do with my pre-lit Wal-Mart tree for Christmas. This could just be the year that I'll go ahead and order (make) myself an Easter basket from Delish and deliver it to myself at work when no one is looking. A secret admirer? How nice!

3 comments:

Mandie said...

I'll go to the Bunny Bananzoo EGGgstravaganza ... it'll be like Brew at the Zoo, but with eggs and bunnies instead of beer and wine.

Anonymous said...

The southside of the 4th floor totally feels for ya. Jamie, Kat, me today.

Lauren Rauseo said...

Don't be sad. The way I look at it is that I get a get-out-of-the-gym-because-it's-closed-for-a-holiday-I-don't-celebrate free card. I stayed in bed till noon on Easter, because really, what else was there to do while the rest of the population was honoring their lord and savior's resurrection from the dead? And they say our traditions of eating fun, if oddly named biscotti "mandelbread" (which has nothing to do with bread at all) was weird.