Wednesday, April 4, 2007

ACE in the Hole

April 4, 2007

Sometimes I wonder why I'm so stupid. Not even in a flaky "I don't get it" kind of way. But actually just stupid. Uneducated. Lacking knowledge. Unable to carry an educated conversation about history, politics, or current events.

Every week, team ACES (often under a different yet clever alias because certain people on my team think they're funny) goes to trivia in attempt to win it all. We spend four hours racking our brains in attempt to take the grand prize of $25 and ABSOLUT paraphanelia home.
And, every week, I hear questions that everyone else (with the exception of my team) seems to know answers to, and I realize that I should have cracked a textbook back in the day.

My mom always said if I applied myself, I'd be a straight A student, and in retrospect, I think she's probably right. But, I made it through school, no question. I was a solid A/B occasional C student, and had no trouble getting into college with 5 applications and 5 acceptions. But, on the latter side, I can't label a map, talk about past presidents, or identify the year of the Cold War (except now I can because I just Googled it.) People at work called me "Canada" for a while because of a slight mishap/miscommunication about where I thought it was located. And last night at trivia, me and someone (I won't mention her name for privacy purposes) decided that the number one coffee producing country was Hawaii.

In the end though, ACES usually ends up on top. So I may not be smarter than the average bear, but quick thinking and common sense does get me pretty far. And I sometimes can pull out the knowledge. My claim to fame at trivia was knowing the answer to: What's the only 2 syllable word in the English language using no real vowels? Do you know?

4 comments:

Mandie said...

There was no mishap ... you thought Canada was south of us alongside of Mexico. And besides you are educated now, remember all your map lessons.

Lauren Rauseo said...

rhythm

Anonymous said...

Why do you say your "team", it's really just you. Your team knows the answers but like to make you think that we don't so that you have to think. And the next time a geography question is asked, please don't take the liberty to answer without consulting! That goes for the anonymous person you were speaking about as well. Hawaii is not a country, and probably never will be, but if the question is what State produces the most coffee in the US, your answer should be???? That's right, Mexico!

Anonymous said...

Is it "rhythm"? Though the Y is being used as a vowel here. Let me know the answer!

Also, I'm pretty newly on a trivia team too, so maybe our teams will compete some night! The other day, a question was "What countries are the 4 biggest consumers of energy in the world?" and would you believe that even after reading OI every day I STILL got only 2 out of 4 correct?

If we do compete, whoever wins buys the other a mojito!