Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A Secret Road To Fortune & Fame?

March 28, 2007

Every couple months, me and a group of my girl friends plan to get together to catch up on our lives since high school. For them, it's a great way to get a girls night away from their husbands/boyfriends, and for me, it's a way to just get away. Anyway, while at CPK a few weeks back, we got on the topic of "The Secret." Basically, the secret is - believe it, think it, feel it, see it, and, IT will happen. I, personally, stood alone in my belief that this is all a load of crap. This sparred a heated topic about whether or not this was true, and, how it might be a good idea for one or all of us to test it.

I don't know about the others, but I've figured out how I'm going to test "The Secret". I've talked about writing a book for years, and recently decided that it's really a logical way to become rich on the side or my absolute and terribly sad poredom. Duh. Become a best-selling author.

I've given myself 6 months from today to complete my book, and another 6 months to find a publisher. So, in a nutshell, I'm saying that one year from today, I will have a book in the process of being published. And if that means convincing Bill Bonner, owner of the financial, health, and travel publishing company I work for, to add a "Fluff" publishing division, then so be it.

But, for the sake of hoping to dis-prove my original hypothesis about "The Secret", I am picturing my book in the windows of Barnes & Noble Bookstore's everywhere, with a pretty little "Bestseller" sticker on the cover.

With my advertising and marketing background, I know its never too soon to start the buzz about said topic. So, consider this my first of many plugs...it will be easier to get on the bestseller list if I can call you, reader, a buyer.

3 comments:

Mandie said...

I have no doubt that you can write a book AND have it published, but I guarantee it will have nothing to do with The Secret, or whatever that foolishness is that you are talking about. :)

Lauren Rauseo said...

I'm so thrilled to see you embracing this "load of crap" as you call it! I believe you can and will do it. I'll incorporate your Barnes and Noble vision into my own Secret-inspired meditations.

Anonymous said...

Let's both do it! I've been finishing this book for more than a year. I'm a friggin' perfectionist and a very imperfect person all at once, a quite bad combination. (Book so far titled "It Wasn't So Bad but I'm Glad That It's Behind Us Now.") Maybe we could even do a joint author appearance on Oprah! ;)